This article documents the currently known major issues with the Spellbreak launcher and some possible fixes for certain cases. If you continue to experience problems, it is advised that you ask the community for help in the #pt-bugs or #pt-general chats in our Discord server.
Issue: Update/Install Stalls part way through the installation
Sometimes, when you are installing or updating, the patch will stall at a random percentage and not continue.
- Try running the install as Admin. This may require several tries and/or waiting 15-30 minutes.
- If that still does not resolve your issue, you may need to manually reinstall:
Issue: Anti-Virus software deleting Launcher.exe
Sometimes, after a new player has downloaded the launcher (and the latest patch), played the game, closed everything out after playing, and attempted to launch the game again for the second time, the Launcher.exe file is missing. This renders the game unplayable. This happens because it was deleted by certain anti-virus applications (e.g., Avast/AVG) that are incorrectly identifying the file as malicious.
Fix: follow the directions below.
- Uninstall Spellbreak and get rid of any Exclusion you had for the game since it doesn't exist anymore (unless one was never made).
- Reinstall Spellbreak. Once the setup wizard asks for you to run Spellbreak, uncheck the box and click Finish.
- Before you open the Launcher, in the Exclusion/Exception tab type the Spellbreak folder location. (ex. w/ default path) C:\Program Files (x86)\Spellbreak\*
- Following this procedure, everything should download normally and you should be able to play.
Issue: AMD graphics cards preventing the game from working (both strong and weak cards)
After the game is downloaded and launched and Play is pressed, the EAC (Easy Anti Cheat) splash art pops up, disappears, and then nothing happens. This is due to an AMD 500 series video card issue. These GPUs do not generally work, with some exceptions.
Fix: To be determined. This error is complicated and affects some GPUs that should be strong enough to run the game. Some players have attempted fresh driver installs or reverting to an old driver, but neither of these solutions seem to fix the problem. We are examining the issue.
Issue: Launcher not opening after login window closes
After entering login information, the window disappears normally but the Launcher window never appears. This occurs when the cache files get corrupted, thus rendering the Launcher unable to run properly.
Fix: follow the directions below.
- Delete The Spellbreak folder (the one that has the game files), including the Launcher installer (it’s possible the installer you had was corrupted).
- Type %localappdata% into the windows search bar.
- Find the folder Spellbreak Launcher and delete it.
- From here, you need to get a new installer and install. Please see the Installation instructions for Spellbreak article for more details.
Issue: Game install failed with install error code = 4
Sometimes, if a player has internet/WiFi connection issues, downloads can stall out and give this error.
Fix: follow the directions below. This should work for most players.
- Go to your Spellbreak folder and scroll down until you find the file Launcher.exe
- Right click Launcher.exe, then click Properties.
- Click on the Compatibility tab and check the box to turn on Compatibility Mode and have it run as Windows 8, and click Apply.
- This will give the user a chance to download the game without using P2P connection for a slower download.
Issue: Violation code #0000000** (and variations)
When you encounter an error in the format of #0000000**, it could mean a multitude of things. Some possibilities include: Running an insider build of Windows, outdated software such as Windows/GPU drivers, or having certain RGB and lightningservice.exe (flashing lights for mouse/motherboard/other) that trigger the Easy Anti Cheat.
For Insider Builds: Revert back to retail Windows. Other than this, EAC detects that certain .dll files are different than what retail, causing it to be triggered.
For outdated software: Run all software updates.
For RBG related Stuff: Go to task manager and end task for any .exe that runs drivers for lights (ex. lightningservice.exe)
Issue: Unpacking Errors
Sometimes, when you are installing the Launcher, you will encounter a problem with the unpacking process.
- First, try running the install as Admin and waiting about 15 minutes for the install to complete.
- If that does not work, this generally happens when you do not have enough disk space free on the target drive. It is recommended to have at least 20 GB of free space on the hard drive you are installing to.
Issue: "Another instance of Launcher client already exist!" error message when attempting to start Launcher
Sometimes, when you are trying to open the Launcher to update or start playing Spellbreak, the Launcher will fail to start and an error message will pop up stating that the Launcher is already running. You may experience this issue even if the Launcher is neither running on the desktop nor in the Task Bar.
- First make sure the game is not running in the Task Bar. If it is, clicking the icon there will present the Launcher as expected.
- If that does not resolve your issue, you may need to force-close a lingering Launcher process:
- Open Windows Task Manager with Ctrl+Shift+Esc
- Find Launcher under the Processes tab
- Right-click Launcher and select End Task
- You should now be able to start the Launcher without being blocked by the error message